Thursday, August 26, 2010

Filling the Tank


As I got ready to take my youngest to school this morning I found myself cranky and irritable. I knew that the truck was on Empty, and I was hoping to make it to the school and then to the gas station without the dreaded "running-out-of-gas-in-the-middle-of-an-intersection-during-morning-rush-hour-traffic" scenario. The whole way to the school I'm thinking, "Don't turn red, Mr. Stop-light...go faster, Mr. Car-in-front-me...". I made it to the gas station just fine and sighed a "Thank You, God" as I hopped out and stuck the gas thingy in the gas tank .
After a lot of waiting and a lot of money later, I turned the key and watched the gas gauge rise all the way to the Full mark. Again, I sighed a "Thank You, God". But this time it felt different. This time I felt the comforting realization that, not only could I make it where I needed to go, but I could also enjoy going wherever I need to go because I have what I need to get me there.
My mood went from cranky to calm; from irritable to joyful. All because I put fuel in my truck?? No, because I now had that need met.
Then my mind went to how EMPTY my soul has been for several months. It isn't that I have neglected my emotional and spiritual tanks; in fact, I have spent more time than I can count taking in the fuel I need to make it through that day. So how is it that I am still so EMPTY? Well, I believe there is more than one reason: First of all, I am having to use up every ounce of "fuel" to get through each day. Secondly, I have a leak in my tank. Something punctured a place in my soul that is going to take some time to heal. You see, there are times when we neglect our soul, but there are also times when our soul is wounded, and although you continue to try and fill it up with the right "fuel" (ie: God's Truth, even physical rest), until the wound is healed and made whole, it will continue to drain.
As I drove home I began to understand the incredible significance of my need to not give up, but to keep filling my soul with God's Truth, His promises, even time to physically stop and rest. If I give up, I will live on EMPTY and get nowhere, but if I persevere through this season and allow God to mend the wounds, I will eventually be FULL, and I will go further, last longer, and be able to get where I need and even want to go.
Am I sick of living on "E"? YES! Will I always live on "E"? THANK GOD, NO!! Today I am choosing to be content where God has me, knowing that at the end of the day I had just what I needed to get there.

If you are with me on this Empty Tank thing, why not take a few minutes to listen:


Today's Confession: I had an incredible Raspberry Cream Cheese Croissant and loved every bite!!

1 comment:

  1. What?! No comments on this post??? Wow! This is one of your best writings yet! Great job, babe!!

    ReplyDelete