Thursday, January 20, 2011

"FAMILY CONFERENCE!!!"


You know how some mornings go…the kids are getting ready, eating breakfast, getting ready some more...but all the while they are fighting. You take a deep breath, referee for a minute, then try to ignore it and hope they’ll work it out or quit. They don’t. Finally, the last straw is broken, and as they’re huffing and puffing out the door you blow the whistle and yell those infamous words:
. “FAMILY CONFERENCE!”
Guess what? That happened this morning. And I’m glad it’s over. Once again, our two oldest have succeeded in pushing the other over the edge and the younger is busy bouncing a little rubber ball through the house, pretending to ignore what’s going on. Hubby calls a time-out and all parties move to the living room couches.
. The ages of the offenders?? 13 and 11. Enough said.
The scenario unfolds: the 13 year old denying any wrong-doing; the 11 year with eyes glazed over, wondering why in the heck we even have to sit here; the youngest not knowing if he needs to join the pow-wow or if he can continue bouncing his ball through the house. I won’t bore you with the details; however, I will just tell you that 10 minutes later tempers were cooled (hubby’s and mine, anyway), we prayed for forgiveness and a fresh start, and three little bambinos marched out the front door.
. Happy? Not really. Loved? Definitely. That’s enough for me.
Some days, ok many days lately, I drift into a daze, looking dreamily back at the preschool years and think, “I miss those sweet times when they were so little and cute and care-free”. But my mind does a quick reality check and replies, “Honey, remember the diapers, the sippy cups, the temper tantrums, the nap-time battles?” POP! My bubble is burst and I zip back to present-day.
Don’t let yourself live in the past days of “how it USED to be”. It always seems more warm and fuzzy than it really was. Special? Of course. Better? No. Some dear friends and mentors of ours used to say to us,
. “We loved every stage of our kids…but we loved when every stage was over.”
Confession: My sentiments, exactly!

3 comments:

  1. Ain't that the truth! Well said! Tonight there is a meeting at the High School and I just don't know what to do because its for Stephanie but I need her to babysit. Everyone keeps asking Why I can't leave Ethan to babysit since he is 13 now. Its because he is a 13 year old boy and has a 10 year old brother that I can't! Boys are either out of control having fun or not getting along! I still love this stage, thanks for the reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very well said, Babe! Great perspective especially since I was a participant. Thanks for not broadcasting exactly HOW I called the "family conference". :) Love you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were times when--if there had been a good market--we would have sold a couple of ours!! So GLAD we didn't--we're gonna need them in our old age. Hang in there--This Too, Shall Come To Pass!!

    ReplyDelete